How to Configure your ScalIT Private Communications Network with Jitsi on Windows
1. Download Jitsi for Windows from www. Jitsi.org . Be sure to download the appropriate version for your version of Windows. For example, Windows Vista 64-bit or Windows 7 64-bit require that you download the “x64” version of Jitsi.
a. If you are uncertain what version of Windows you have:
i. In Windows Vista and Windows 7, go to “Control Panel.”
ii. From there, select “System and Security.”
iii. Then select “System.” This will show you what version of Windows you are currently running, and under the “System” heading, you will see “System Type:” which will indicate whether you are running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows.
b. If you are using Windows XP, use the 32-bit version of Jitsi (i.e. x86).
- After you have downloaded Jitsi, run the downloaded “exe” (executable) file.
- Click on “Next.”
- Click on “I accept the terms,” and click the “Next” button. Accept the default installation folder, and click on the “Next” button.
- On the dialogue box that opens, be sure at least “Start Menu,” “SIP,” and “XMPP” are selected. If you would like a shortcut for this program on your desktop, select that checkbox. If you would like “Jitsi” to start when your computer starts, select that checkbox, too.
- Click the “Next” button, and then the “Install” button on the following dialogue box. If the Windows 7 or Vista User Account Control asks if you want to install this program, select “yes.” When the install is completed, be sure the “Launch Jitsi” checkbox is selected.
- Click on the “Finish” button.
- Double click on the “Jitsi” icon in your Windows System Tray (the bottom right hand corner of your screen).
- You will now see a window that looks like this:
- From the “File” menu at the top of this window, select “Add new account…”
- On the resulting dropdown box, select “JABBER.”
- On the resulting screen, enter:
a. Your complete ScalIT email address as the “Jabber Username”
b. Your password in the “Password” box, be sure the “Remember Password” checkbox is selected
c. Press the “Add” button.
- Next, click on the “Advanced” button in the bottom left hand corner of the “Add New Account” dialogue box.
- Select the “Connection” tab at the top.
- For the “Connect Server” field, enter in “yourdomain.scalit.net”. Be sure to truncate the “.com” or “.net” from your company’s domain. For example 4griffin.net becomes 4griffin.scalit.net .
- Press the “Next” button at the bottom of the screen.
- Press the “Sign In” button at the bottom of the next screen.
Once your account is configured in Jitsi, you can go to “Options,” under the “Tools” menu in Jitsi, and configure any webcam or microphone you might have on your computer (under “Audio” and “Video”), as well as other preferences you might desire.
Congratulations! You have just configured Jitsi for your new ScalIT Private Communications Network Account.