How to Configure your ScalIT IMAP EMail with Thunderbird
To configure your ScalIT email with Thunderbird, from the menus at the top of the screen, select “Tools,” then “Account Settings…”
On the dialogue box that opens, select the “Account Actions” button, and press the “Add Mail Account…” button.
- Enter your full name (first and last) into the “Your Name” field.
- Enter your new ScalIT provided email address into the “Email address” field.
- Enter your ScalIT provided password into the “Password” field.
- Check the “Remember password” check box, then hit the “Continue” button.
Depress the “Stop” button, and then click the “Manual Setup” button. These instructions cover manual installation. Currently, Thunderbird’s auto-configure utility does not work with ScalIT email accounts.
- On the resulting screen, select the line displaying your new email account.
- For the “Account Name,” enter your email address.
- For “Your Name,” enter your full name as you want your email recipients to see it.
- For both “Email Adress” and “Reply-to Address,” enter your complete email address.
- For “Organization,” enter your company’s name, as you would like your email recipients to see it.
- Check the “Use HTML” check box if you would like to have the options of changing fonts, colors, etc. within the emails that you create.
- Enter any signature text you might like included in your emails, if desired, such as your full name, title, address, phone, and any disclaimers you might like included in all emails that you send.
- If you have a company-wide signature file, including a company logo, select the “Attach the signature from a file…” checkbox, and select the appropriate file.
- If you would like to attach a virtual business card (vCard) file with each email that you send, check the “Attach my vCard to my messages” checkbox, select “Edit card,” and complete all of your information that you want included in your vCard.
- Select “Server Settings” under your newly made email account.
- “Server type” should read “IMAP Mail Server.”
- For “Server name,” enter “mail.scalit.net” with “993” for the “Port number.”
- Enter your complete email address for the “User name.”
- For “Security Settings,” select “SSL/TLS” from the dropdown list. Do not check the “Use secure authentication” checkbox.
- In the next “Server Settings” section, check the “Check for new messages at startup” checkbox, along with the “Check for new messages every 5 minutes” checkbox.
- In the “When I delete a message:” section, select the first option “Move it to the folder,” and select “Trash” from the dropdown list.
- Select “Copies & Folders” under your newly made email account.
- Check the “Place a copy in:” checkbox, and select the button next to “Sent folder on,” and choose your email account from the dropdown box.
- Under “Drafts, Archives, and Templates,” select the button next to each primary heading, and choose your email account from each related dropdown box.
- Select “Composition & Addressing” under your newly made email account.
- If you chose “Use HTML” earlier, in order to be able to modify fonts, colors, etc. within your emails, then check the “Compose messages in HTML” checkbox.
- The next options in this dialogue box should be tailored to suit your taste. You may copy the settings shown in the accompanying screen image for a popular setting.
- Select “Synchronization & Storage” under your newly made email account.
- Check the “Keep messages for this account on this computer” checkbox.
- Under the “Disk Space” section, select “Synchronize all messages locally regardless of age,” as well as “Don’t delete any messages.” You may vary the options in this section depending on your own personal preferences.
- Next, select the “Outgoing Server (SMTP)” heading under “Local Folders,” and press the “Add” button to create a new outbound SMTP account.
- For “Description,” enter “SMTP Scalit.net”
- For “Server name,” enter “mail.scalit.net”
- Leave the “Port number” at 25
- Under the “Security and Authentication” section of this dialogue box, check the “Use name and password” checkbox.
- Enter your full email address as your “User Name.” Do not check the “Use secure authentication” checkbox.
- Under “Connection security,” select “STARTTLS” from the dropdown box, then hit the “OK” button.
- Highlight “SMTP scalit.net – mail.scalit.net,” and make sure that it indicates that it is set as the default account. If not, press the “Set as default” button now.
Press the “Get mail” button in the upper left hand corner of your screen. When the “Mail Server Password Required” dialogue box pops up, enter your password, and check the “Remember password” checkbox, then press the “OK” button.
Finally, press the “Get Mail” button in the upper left hand corner again.
Congratulations! You have just configured Thunderbird for your new e-mail account.