How to Configure your ScalIT IMAP EMail with Outlook
To configure your email with Outlook: in Outlook 2007, from the menus at the top of the screen, select “Tools,” then “Account Settings.”
On the dialogue box that opens, select the “E-mail” tab, and press the “New…” button
Select the first option, and press the “Next >” button.
- In the next dialogue box, enter your full name, as you want all of the people who receive your e-mail to see who sent it, into the box labeled “Your Name.”
- Next, enter the e-mail address you were given into the box labeled “E-mail Address,” and enter the password you were given into both boxes labeled “Password” and “Retype Password.”
- Click the checkbox next to “Manually configure server settings or additional server types.”
Select “Internet Email” and press “Next.”
- Enter your information as shown below, substituting your name, e-mail address, and password where indicated.
- For “Account Type,” select “IMAP.”
- For “Incoming Server,” enter “mail.scalit.net” and for “Outgoing Server”, enter “mail.scalit.net.”
- Finally, press the “More Settings…” button.
- In the next dialogue box, with the “General” tab selected, enter your e-mail address (or some other unique name for this email account) into the “Mail Account” box.
- Then, enter your company name into the “Organization” box, and the e-mail address you were given into the “Reply E-mail” box.
- Check the box labeled “Purge items when switching folders online.”
- Next, highlight the “Outgoing Server” tab at the top of the dialogue box.
- Check to box marked “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication,” and then select “Use same settings as my incoming server.”
- Next, highlight the “Connection” tab at the top of the dialogue box.
- Select “Connect using my local area network (LAN).”
- Next, highlight the “Advanced” tab at the top of the dialogue box.
- Make the “Incoming Server (IMAP)” box read “993” by selecting “SSL” from the “Use the following type of encrypted connection:” drop down list.
- Then make the “Outgoing Server” box read “25” and select “TLS” from the “Use the following type of encrypted connection:” drop down list.
- Finally, click the “OK” button at the bottom of that dialogue box.
On the remaining dialogue box, click “Next >,” and then “Finish” on the final dialogue box.
- You should now see your new ScalIT email account listed in the “Mail Folder” section on the left-hand side of Outlook.
- Click on the + next to the email account name to expand the view to show the individual mail folders for your new account.
- Place your mouse over the ScalIT email account name, press your mouse’s right-click button, and select “IMAP Folders” using your mouse’s left-click button.
- On the “IMAP Folders” pop-up screen, press the “Query” button in order to have Outlook update the list of available folders.
- Find the “Sent” folder in the list, select it with your mouse’s left-click button, and press the “Subscribe” button.
- Now press the “OK” button.
You should now see a folder labled “Sent” in your new ScalIT email account listed in the “Mail Folder” section on the left-hand side of Outlook.
- Now, at the top of the screen, go to the “Tools” menu again, and select “Account Settings…”
- Select the new ScalIT email account we just created, and then press the “Change…” button.
- Press the “More Settings…” button, and select the “Folders” tab at the top of the “Internet Email Settings” box.
- Select the second option, “Choose and existing folder or create a new folder…,” click the + button next to your “Inbox,” and select the “Sent” folder from under your “Inbox.” This will enable you to view your sent items using other IMAP clients, too.
- Click the “OK” button, then click the “Next >” button, and finally click the “Finish” button. Since your “Account Settings” screen is still open, you may press the “Close” button on it now.
The following settings are not required, but are highly suggested, especially if you are using a laptop or sometimes lose your internet connection.
From the menu at the top of the screen, select the “Tools” menu, then select “Options…”
Under the section labeled “Send/Receive,” check the “Send immediately while connected” checkbox, and press the “Send/Receive…” button.
Set all of the settings in the “Send/Receive Groups” dialogue box as they are shown in the accompanying picture. Then press the “Edit…” button.
- In the “Send/Receive Settings – All Accounts” screen, highlight the account that we just created. Typically, this will turn the account icon background to a different color (in the screen image provided, the selected account is orange).
- Check the “Include the selected account in this group” checkbox.
- Check the “Send mail items” checkbox.
- Check the “Get folder unread count for subscribed folders” checkbox.
- Check the “Receive mail items” checkbox.
- Select the “Download complete items including attachments for subscribed folders” button.
- Click the “OK” button.
Congratulations! You have just configured your Outlook 2007 for your new e-mail account.